Monday 13 October 2008

Day Two

October 1

This morning we tried the food we bought last night. The English muffins were horrible so I had one of Rebecca’s regular muffins. We got to the OSAP office at ten this morning and first had a lecture on the Oxford academic system. It’s far different from the American system. We have tutorials for an hour once a week to discuss what we have learned with our tutors. Aside from that all of the work is completely on our own. I met one of my tutors today, Robert Jacobs; he’s going to be tutoring me in Physical Chemistry. He said he typically expects ten to twenty hours of solid outside work from his students, sometimes even thirty or forty if it’s a difficult topic.

Later we had a lecture on British customs that was very interesting. We learned about the mannerisms and typical behaviors of the British. It was very interesting. We also watched a documentary on the history of modern Britain, the Margaret Thatcher years. It also was quite interesting. She was an amazing woman, not one I agree with much, but still amazing.

We went on a tour of Oxford with an OSAP representative. This was something I was really looking foreword too. Aside from learning all of the amazing history about Oxford I finally know where everything is and how to get around. After the tour we went to a pub for dinner. Then I walked home with Andrea and some other OSAP students, Maria, Lisa, and Talia. Wow I can’t believe I just remembered all their names.

Tomorrow I meet with my academic advisor. That should be interesting.


No comments: