Friday 28 November 2008

Thirty-three days left

November 15

Today we had an OSAP trip to Stonehenge and Bath. A lot of people thought Stonehenge was dumb because it’s “just a bunch of rocks.” I thought it was amazing. It’s so cool to think about how the druids got the stones there and how they assembled them into the structure. It’s also cool because we can sit and stare at it amazedly but we will probably never know what it was really built there for. No matter what anyone says that’s pretty cool to me.

Bath was very nice as well. The city of Bath is a very cute city. There are a ot of pedestrian streets and lots of market places. We toured to Roman Baths first which were also pretty cool. It’s amazing how they are all naturally heated and how the Romans used to use them as a therapy for their warriors and royals.

After the tour we had time to wander the city. We went to the Jane Austen center and then to the Royal Crescent. It’s really a very nice old city. I can’t really describe it, I just liked it there. Some of us are planning to go back in December to visit the Christmas markets. That should be really fun I think.

When we got back into Oxford Rebecca, Andrea, and I went straight to the theater. We had tickets to see Carmen. It was pretty cool. I enjoyed the story and the singing was amazing (even though I don’t particularly enjoy the style of opera music). I didn’t think the talent was particularly wonderful. It was a traveling group and they were only in Oxford for one day but I think this fact showed. I have been far more impressed by performances I’ve seen in the states but overall it was enjoyable.

When we left the opera all three of us were starving and we practically ran to the kabob stand near out place. I think that was about the best food I have eaten here so far but it probably had something to do with the fact that I was so hungry.


No comments: