Friday 12 December 2008

Catching Up

Okay so I realize I have been really really really bad about keeping up with this blog so I am going to do some catching up. Here is what I have missed telling everyone in the last three weeks or so.

I have gone to three pub quizzes. This is a fairly popular activity here in the UK and it’s pretty fun. The first one I went too was at the Waterman’s Arms. This is a pub down the street from my flat (probably the closest thing to civilization around here). My team consisted of Rebecca, John (someone who has become a very good friend of Rebecca’s), Mike and Hadrian (friend’s of John’s from the pub) and myself. We did all right considering there were three Americans who knew nothing about Britain. We got sixth out of twelve. I also went to another one at the New College pub. For this one my team was Gareth, Maria, Julian, Bill, and myself. We did horrible. We did not come in last, and that is about all I can say about it. I did really well on the science portion of the quiz but other than that we were basically SOL. The last one I went to was again at the Waterman’s Arms. This time we had Bill on our team as well as another of John’s friends to replace Hadrian who wasn’t there. We got fourth out of six this time. All in all these pub quizzes are a ton of fun even though we usually to terrible.

I have also been to a few college dinners. I went to New College formal dinner with Bill, Erin, and Jamie. It was really nice and I wish I had gone earlier in the term and gone more often. I did go to a few Trinity College dinners as well. Trinity College has much better food than New College. I went to one of their regular nightly dinners and I went to two of their guest night dinners. These dinners are formal occasions where guys have to wear suits and I wore a cocktail dress. It was a wonderful experience. It was like experiencing the upper class you read about and watch on TV but you always know it’s for kings and queens and people of a higher class. It was really nice. They serve a four-course meal and the whole occasion takes about two to three hours. It was really a lot of fun.

I finished up my physical chemistry tutorials on a very good note and I think I did really well. He said he was impressed with my work and my improvements over the course of the term. He also said if I ever have any questions at all to e-mail him because he is always a teacher and will always help a former student out. He said he would be willing to write recommendations for me and anything else I need. I think I may ask him to read my thesis when I am finished with it.

I also ended my Shakespeare tutorials with a bang. He loved my last essay and said that I would be a very good Shakespeare critic. I think I may continue my studies in Shakespeare in the future. Just taking on class at a time that would give me the opportunity to study his works further. I really loved this course. He also gave me a list of plays in the order he would typically assign them if I were to continue studying with him. I may just continue his course slowly on my own and see where it gets me.

            I think that is about it that is worth writing about but since I have been doing so badly I may have some little updates later on things I missed.

No comments: